Monday, May 2, 2011

The Dreaded Job Hunt


For most of us the life as an undergraduate is nearing its end and its time for the dreaded job search. Personally the thought of sending my resume to companies hoping to get a response back while trying to beat out the competition is the worst graduation gift anyone could give me. Just the idea of trying to present myself so that I not only look better than Chicago designers who are applying, but national and even international designers wears me out. I’m exhausted just thinking about it, but it is good to know that there are some websites dedicated to artists looking for jobs because we all know that places like Craiglist and Monster are not the best places to find jobs for our field. So for those of us who are on the dreaded job hunt, I have found a site that may be useful for you, Creativehotlist.com. I found this site by accident but so far I find it to be very useful for the job hunt. It’s dedicated to jobs strictly for designers/artists and you can search by jobs, companies and people, which is helpful when you’re looking for something specific. I find that the feature that makes this site better than most is that you can build a portfolio and a profile so that not only can you search for employers, but employers can search for you. It’s comforting to know that even when I’m sleeping, I’m still technically job searching.

17 comments:

  1. Sheri,
    Great resource. You should sign up for Communication Arts while you are still a student (like $40) and you'll get the magazine, but also they provide an online service. The online portal gives you up-to-date design jobs all over the world. You can organize by category, level (intern, junior designer, senior designer etc.), location, just about anything, and you can upload your resume! Its been an invaluable resource for myself. I encourage everyone to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just dawned on me that this link IS the comm arts link...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great link! Thanks for sharing this I plan to make a profile

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shanna, thanks for the CommArts reminder. I almost forgot.

    To anyone who might sign up, type in "Smith" for instructor's last name. Mark was kind enough to sign up as a DePaul instructor this quarter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great find! There also is a site very similar to this called Coroflot where you can make your own profile as well. I loved your comment at the end "It’s comforting to know that even when I’m sleeping, I’m still technically job searching."

    I will definitely make a profile on creativehotlist.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great site and something I will look more into depth as soon as I get a break from school work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to frequently look through the job listings on comm arts. It has a very nice user friendly interface.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good stuff, haven't started the hunt yet but I'm glad I have an idea where to start now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the heads-up! I need to start working on my portfolio...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a good resource. I know from my roommates difficulties with finding a job that it can take FOREVER! and you get calls from all sorts of strange and questionable companies when you post your resume on sites liek career builder and stuff... shady!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an awesome link. I will definitely sign up for a profile. Yet another way to get your name out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i despise job hunting. i apply on average to 20 jobs aday or so. maybe i should change it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you link Sheri. I know how stressed you are. I am lucky in the sense that I won't be graduating until November, but at the same time fear that because of the holidays some people may not be hiring. However, I like your quote and I too will be happy to know I am job hunting even while sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not gonna lie, I'm sort of freaking out about finding a job too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Helpful site, I'll surely reference more this summer on the "dreaded hunt".

    ReplyDelete
  16. This will come in handy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete