Saturday, May 28, 2011

Airport Passenger Tunnel


When flying out to Minneapolis this weekend, I was reminded how much I love the airport environment.  I know some people who hate traveling for the simple reason that they don't like being fondled by the TSA... I get that.  But, I think the reason why airports are really appealing to me is because a lot of them incorporate modern aesthetics.  A lot of you are familiar with the neon-lit corridor in O'hare.  Not too long ago, I was at the Detroit airport, and I walked through a similar walkway area.  I immediately geeked out when I saw it.  The passenger tunnel itself is an 800-foot passageway designed by the Smith Group (http://www.smithgroup.com/?id=525The walls are made with glass panels and are illuminated with LED lights.  And to top it all off, there was ambient music playing in the background!  I really enjoyed the airport tunnel, because it takes the person out of the everyday rhythm by putting them in a surrealistic and peaceful atmosphere.  I think one crucial aspect of design is doing just that, and exposing a person to a brief yet inspirational moment.  

2 comments:

  1. I remember when I used to go to the airport with friends just to walk around the terminals, back when could just walk in. I loved the atmosphere of the place. Don't know why, but I did. Strange to think about how we did that and how impossible it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH! I hate travelling, but sometimes you learn to entertain yourself with what you've got when you're delayed 5 hours! I guess the airport can be pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete