Monday, April 4, 2011

unconventional defacement


When contemplating the general concept of design, I personally feel that a definition of this concept, whether being applied specifically to graphic, package, fashion, advertising, or publications is a pretty subjective thing. Design is everywhere, and the ideas that are communicated through it can be extremely moving (for example a campaign) or extremely subtle (tabloid ad). When I think of the most common forms of design I usually think of magazines or advertisements such as billboards that are everywhere but nowhere at the same time, although they are right in our face we as the viewer can choose to acknowledge them or ignore them completely. The photo that I have attached to my post features an image of a design on the side of a Polish Chiropractor that is 2 blocks from my home. When I recall the first time that I noticed this incredibly large scale design, I questioned what it meant. I wasn’t sure if it had anything to do with the business, it didn’t really seem like it did, but I definitely noticed it and felt that it was appealing compared to what is on the sides of most buildings in my neighborhood.

I began noticing this design in other areas throughout Chicago, sometimes on the sides of different buildings, sometimes hidden under viaducts. Occasionally the color shade would be different but the design remained consistent. After further questioning what this all meant I brought it up to a few of my friends. I found out that this was the work of a local graffiti artist who got caught doing graffiti and opted to go from doing basic tags and pieces to disguising himself as a painter and during broad daylight going about the city and painting these large-scale designs wherever. Has anyone else noticed this particular design or something similar around the city while commuting or going about the daily routine? Do you feel that this can even be categorized as design? Due to the fact that this doesn’t really resemble the traditional form of graffiti do you think that this sort of thing will remain un-buffed longer than a tag?

18 comments:

  1. Personally I don't really consider graffiti to be a form of graphic design unless there is an particular message behind the graffiti. Banksy for instance is an individual that I would consider as having a message behind his work. But the majority of graffiti artists (around my house at least) just write their tag name everywhere, having no other intent besides marking a surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually disagree with with Shanna on this one. I think graffiti can look really nice, even though its purpose is not so nice. The artwork can be pretty amazing and looks like it takes a lot of time and skill to execute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo challenges the idea of design being a means to communicate. If he isn't meaning to send a message beyond defacing property then is it Graphic Design?

    What bothers me about any graffiti is that whether or not it is attractive or artsy, it is still defacing property and I am not sure I support elevating an enterprise like graffiti to an artform, or at least a respectable artform

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think yes, something like this would last longer that the average graffiti tag because it seems more rooted in art and design history. To me, it also seems as more of a beautification than a defacement, another reason it might stick around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is interesting, I have not noticed this while traveling around the city but will now keep more of an eye out for it. I'm not sure if it could be categorized as design because it still is graffiti just disguised. But I do think that it is something that would stay around longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If there is no clear message through the design he creates then I find it hard to classify as art. It should make people stop and think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that this should be considered design because someone took the time and effort to create a piece of taking into consideration the basic elements of color, grid structure, form, etc. He might not necessarily have a message, but I don't think design needs to tell other people things. I think it just needs to mean something to the designer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Tony, it's hard to bring myself to call defacement design. I appreciate graffiti art because I realize it isn't easy and a lot of it can be beautiful, but unfortunately the whole premise of it is to deface property and costs hard-working people money, time, and hassle to remove.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the visuals of a lot of graffiti art, but at the same time the criminal aspect of it complicates issues of its classification and "value". I think there is a way that you could incorporate its illegality into an artistic statement, but I'm not sure how many graffiti artists do it satisfactorily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Sheri. I feel that just because it does not have a message does not mean it is not a design. And I feel that this is still being seeing by the public. This artist is still taking the time out to use paint and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe that graffiti can be considered art. Those who create these art forms use line, color, shape, form, texture, and pattern. The work above is eye-catching, which plays a role in design. All of these are elements of art and principles of design. Graffiti artists and all other artists all use these components in making art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm interesting. Its definitely a very touchy situation. I think if we look at the different types of graffiti, some can be considered art and graphic design but I think to really classify graffiti as art or even as graphic design we need to know the artists intent. I think that gang tags can obviously be excluded from graphic design in a sense that it was more so created to make a statement about the persons gang. The picture you posted can be considered both graphic design and art. There is obvious design aspects of geometry shown in the graffiti. I guess it is up to the property owners art appreciation to keep it up on the wall.
    Which brings me to the response from Tony. I do agree with Tony somewhat, because it is difficult to be okay with the defacement of private property. Its happened to my dads office back in Hawaii a whole bunch and he had to pay at least five times to paint over it. Not cheap. Its times like that were graffiti and I don't get along but I do have to admit I enjoy looking at it because it can be beautiful and artisitc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also thing that this is a form of graphic design. Even though its not done on a conventional and frowned upon surface its still a design that someone took time to create. Where would design be if people didn't take risks and upset a few people.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope that lasts longer. It looks a lot better than your average tag.

    ReplyDelete
  15. graffiti only lasts as long as whoever owns the property lets it stand. i don't think there is any rule of thumb for this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the geometric design above, I think art like this is just as much apart of the city as the buildings are, so in that sense I think that graffiti is design.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's really funny that he disguises himself as a painter. The designs themselves look like some sort of tribal pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it will last longer...I agree with John it does look like some tribal pattern and looks nice on the wall. It gives people walking by something that is simple and visually appealing to look at.... unlike all the tags that are around the city.

    ReplyDelete