Monday, April 11, 2011

Innovative Design Materials

By embracing the use of innovative materials in graphic design, we allow ourselves to move away from the computer screen and explore 3-D elements in works such as collage, sculpture and installation. A design book called “Tactile” by R. Klanten showcases how graphic design is incorporated into an abundance of different projects that are not what I would typically think of when I think of graphic arts. I find many of the artists and how they have used materials in design to be both very fascinating and inspirational as I myself am very influenced by mixed medias and experimenting with different methods of collage and decorative elements being incorporated into graphic design.


“Liberated from the fetters of page and screen, designers are starting to use the tools of their trade to translate signs and symbols to tangible space, to creations that promise a direct encounter and one-to-one experience…and yet, there is nothing unskilled about these forays into another dimension. Literally bursting out of the confines of the page, this sees artists and designers taking the means of communication back to the location itself, back tot he people and thus back to their original intention”


The above quote expresses how the relationship between design and space along with the incorporation of materials can create a more personalized, thus more meaningful way of communicating with the viewer. Seeing as one of the foremost purposes of graphic design is to communicate some sort of concept or message, it seems as if these methods and materials when used tastefully can enhance any designer’s work!

19 comments:

  1. I feel that 3D can help a design naturally have depth, and it can make visual elements stand out significantly more. The second design is very interesting and you can notice the depth of the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This relates alot to the project I plan to do using outside 3 demential found objects. I think breaking away from the computer screen can help refresh the ideas of design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Designers can make their own paper and their own ink. I think seeing a poster with recycled or created paper and ink directly from nature for a recycling campaign or for a "going green" campaign would be pretty striking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover of the magazine picture you posted, Audubon, looks amazing. The use of 3D materials into the cover makes the picture stand out more and gives it this realistic and intriguing affect. It makes the cover have the look of a real space even though it is confined within the edges of the paper. I sometimes forget that graphic design doesn’t only incorporate digital work. I am so consumed with all the constant use of my computer and the digital work that is required for class and that I assign myself, that it is very easy to ignore the use of your hands. This post reminds me of a blog posted by someone in this class last week about how they want to focus more on hands-on work as opposed to digital and I feel like these ideas are similar, steering away from the digital norm and using other mediums for expression.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a perfect example as to why we all need to be able to draw (on some level) and be proficient in more areas than just type and layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this type of work is very suited to you. You have a great hand-crafted, personal sensibility to your work, and fortunately for you, you are able to use the methods tastefully. I think everyone in design should be forced to do analog things. This is something that, although can drive me crazy at times, is something Mark Smith has a doing with magazines and books. I think once finished and done well there is such a feeling of accomplishment to showing what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also looking to explore the use of 3-D in my project. I think that it can yield some interesting possiblities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking about graphic design in 3D is always exciting. There's something inherently interactive about sculptural type.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your idea for capstone. 3-D design is always something that I have been interested in and I think that incorporating it with graphic design is great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a very good quote that you mentioned in your post. The relationship of the artist with the audience is extremely important in regards to graphic design; without their opinions and feedback of the designer's work, they would be out of a job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the affect a 3D element can have in a print piece. Gives it a certain pop (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's great that so many people are saying that they're going to try and explore 3D, hand-done methods for their capstone project.

    Personally I have never been an 'artist' outside of graphic design, so I come from a very different direction than many others in the class! But I am very excited to see everyone's ideas created in their final projects.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That Audobon cover is lovely! I wonder how much of that (or just aspects of 3D/traditional media in general) could be replicated in Photoshop?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the layered 3D look of this work. It really makes the work stand out and gives it depth. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adding 3D elements to a design I think makes the piece more interesting for the audience and designer. Leaves more room for visual analysis and exploration of the image.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 3d can be both good and bad. good- adding flair and depth to the design. bad- sometimes can be a distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with what Aaron said. Balance is key.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoy when designers use paper to create more dimension than the original intention of the 2D constraints paper has. That is a great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that Audubon cover is absolutely stunning! Really inspires me to think about where design can be taken in the future.

    ReplyDelete