Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Bunch of Crock

Not knowing exactly how to kickoff this whole “blogging” thing, I decided to write about a topic that has been heavy on my soul for a while now, and is featured on Graphic Designer Safwat Saleem’s website called ‘A Bunch of Crock’ (abunchofcrock.com). It’s the topic of racism and other portrayals of hatred due to culture, gender, political associations, race, age, etc. Having a hard time dealing with racism (I am in a very happy 6 year relationship with an African man and we are subject to scrutiny frequently), Tony Vitale was nice enough to send me a link to Saleem’s site whose goal is to use humor to show how ridiculous this type of hatred is. Saleem is a Muslim man who was subject to ridicule because of his religion and race (specifically after 9/11). He started this site in an effort to try and change the way people understand their hateful actions, turning them on their head in an attempt to make a person rethink why they exhibit certain intolerances. Saleem states that he is trying to make the world a better place by bringing attention to inequality through humor, and that even though his labors may be an exercise in futility, but he has to try. His efforts are a perfect response to the question “Design, what is is good for?” showing examples of how design can create social change and awareness. Check out his site, he’s VERY funny and his work is motivating to do good. Below is a link to a video he made which explains why he does what he does.


17 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this video and your post!! I have seen his work around before online, but it is definitely good to hear it from the artist. As an immigrant I can relate to some of the issues he addressed.

    I hope that his artwork does make a difference because the world needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love this guy's work. I was taken by his comment in the film where he admits that his work may not dramatically change the world for the better and that it may be futile. I think perhaps I need to remember more often that it isn't whether the change happens, but making the effort. I don't know, but it is food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Racism is a serious topic, but I really appreciate seeing it approached from a satirical standpoint. I think humor is a great way to get a point across. These posters make racism seem like a ridiculous thing, which it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great video! I love that he is taking the racism he experienced and turning into a very productive, creative project instead of just closing up and getting angry. He is making a statement for change on a serious topic in a satirical way which I feel is more engaging than just petitioning for change. His art catches your attention and really makes you reflect and think about what he is saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love his video! I really respect what he says about this video not really being able to make a difference to the world, but that he is at least making an effort and trying to make the change he want to see, I definitely agree with him. I don't think that design by itself can change the world, but neither can words by themselves. Just like the other post about whether or not design can impact the world and make a change, I believe that design initiates the idea that leads to actions to make a change and his video is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I like the topic of this video, others have already addressed why it is so good. What I want to say is that I love the aesthetic! Polaroids and newspaper clippings on brown paper - yet still uses quote bubbles, etc. He mixes them in a beautiful way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seconding Katie's comment about the aesthetic. It brings a whimsical quality to such a serious, rage-inducing topic. I was amused by the all-black Polaroid with the tiny white smiley in the middle, early on in the vid. It's funny because it also speaks truth: that those who experience racism can feel very small and invisible, swallowed up in the darkness of prejudice and bigotry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love the aesthetic of the video. It blends well with a topic that is real and hurtful to a lot of people. Although Saleem was victim to racism, his way of channeling hurt from it into posters and a video is great and I believe that he is teaching us something through design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saleem's poster series is very dramatic reaction to the cur­rent polit­i­cal land­scape, as well as his experieences liv­ing in the U.S. He touches on very strong topics, which draws my attention very quickly. Great video!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great approach to a very serious topic. He does a great job informing the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great video, when I hear design stories from people or designs themselves, like this, I think what a great thing design is for people to communicate themselves through. I also really agree with Tony in that we need to make an effort, it takes a lot of courage to do so, and maybe we have become to centered around the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. racism is really dumb. i know that's a very plain statement, but it's still dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's really nuts to think that there are still issues with racism in today's society, but overall thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with all your comments, Shanna. But the great thing about design is that, hopefully we can make steps forward toward eliminating it in our society!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great post! Yes it is sad that Saleem believes some of his labors are an exercise in futility, but I agree with John, at least he is still trying to use design as a means to make a point to society. It's the effort that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why do British people always seem like they are talking over your head?

    I think this was a great post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete